Seanad Éireann - Volume 145 - 20 December, 1995
Select Committee on Members' Interests: Motion.
Mr. Manning Mr. Manning
Mr. Manning: I move:
(1) That, pursuant to the Ethics in Public Offices Act, 1995, a Select Committee of Seanad Éireann, which shall be called the Select Committee on Members' Interests of Seanad Éireann, be appointed to perform the functions conferred on it by that Act.
(2) The Committee which shall be nominated by the Committee of Selection shall consist of the Cathaoirleach (who shall be the Chairman), and six other Senators who shall be equally representative of the Government and Opposition and include where possible, a representative of each Group/Party represented in the Seanad Éireann.
(3) That the quorum of the Select Committee be five, one of whom must be the Cathaoirleach.
(4) That all questions in the Select Committee shall be determined by a  majority of votes of the members present and voting and in the event of there being an equality of votes, that the question shall be decided in the negative.
(5) That, in the absence from a particular meeting of the Select Committee of a member, another member of Seanad Éireann, nominated by the Group/Party within the meaning of Standing Order 82 to which the absent member belongs, may take part in the proceedings and vote in his stead.
(6) That, subject to the consent of the Minister for Finance, the Select Committee shall have the power to engage the services of persons with specialist or technical knowledge to assist it in its consideration of any matter comprehended by the provisions of the Ethics in Public Offices Act, 1995.
(7) That the first meeting of the Select Committee be held on 17 January, 1996.
(8) That no document received by the Clerk to the Select Committee shall be withheld, withdrawn or altered without the knowledge and approval of the Committee.”.
Question put and agreed to.
Seanad Éireann 145 Select Committee on Members' Interests: Motion.