Seanad Éireann - Volume 100 - 03 June, 1983
Joint Services Committee: Motion.
Mr. Ferris Mr. Ferris
Mr. Ferris: I move:
(1) That Seanad Éireann concurs with Dáil Éireann in its Resolution communicated to Seanad Éireann on 2 June 1983, that it is expedient that a Joint Committee (to be called the Joint Services Committee), consisting of nine members of Dáil Éireann and nine members of Seanad Éireann, be appointed
(i) to direct and control the Oireachtas Restaurant;
(ii) to assist and advise the Ceann Comhairle and the Cathaoirleach in the direction and control of the Oireachtas Library;
(iii) to initiate and operate an information service in respect of the work of the Houses of the Oireachtas; and
(iv) to regulate and supervise the operation of the research service for Members and to recommend to the Ceann Comhairle and the Cathaoirleach any improvements in the operation of the service which may appear to it to be desirable from time to time.
(2) That the Joint Committee have power to appoint sub-committees and to delegate any matter comprehended by paragraph (1) of this resolution to a sub-committee.
(3) That the Joint Committee and each sub-committee, previous to the commencement of business, shall elect one of its members to be Chairman, who shall have only one vote.
(4) That all questions in the Joint Committee and in each sub-committee  shall be determined by a majority of votes of the members present and voting and in the event of there being an equality of votes the question shall be decided in the negative.
(5) That the quorum of the Joint Committee be five of whom at least one shall be a member of Dáil Éireann and one shall be a member of Seanad Éireann and that the quorum of each sub-committee shall be three at least one of whom shall be a member of Dáil Éireann and one a member of Seanad Éireann.
Question put and agreed to.
Seanad Éireann 100 Joint Services Committee: Motion.