Dáil Éireann - Volume 682 - 12 May, 2009

Written Answers. - Food Safety.

Deputy Andrew Doyle asked the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government if he will clarify which body is responsible for licensing food recycling companies; if he, the Environmental Protection Agency or local government has responsibility in this regard; if changes have taken place in terms of the regulation of such companies in view of the recent pork dioxin crisis; if he has requested that a review of licensing arrangements for such companies should take place; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [18869/09]

  Deputy John Gormley:Any company engaged in recycling or recovery of waste will require either a waste licence from the EPA or a waste permit from the local authority in whose functional area the facility is located, having regard to relevant waste management legislation and the individual circumstances of such facilities.

Under section 60(3) of the Waste Management Act 1996, I am specifically precluded from any involvement in particular circumstances in a matter for which a local authority or the EPA has statutory responsibility. This includes the granting of waste licences or waste permits for which the EPA or the local authority is responsible, and the enforcement of conditions attached to such licences or permits.

Furthermore, my colleague the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, advised the House on 29 April 2009 that food recycling companies in Ireland which recycle unused food as animal feed continue to be registered by his Department as Feed Business Operators under EU Regulation 183/2005 on Feed Hygiene. As part of ongoing risk assessment, that Department has already taken additional measures to enhance the inspections regime of feed manufacturing, grain drying, and food recycling premises with a view to minimising the risk of similar incidents.