Dáil Éireann - Volume 626 - 25 October, 2006
Written Answers. - Arts Funding.
Mr. J. O’Keeffe Mr. J. O’Keeffe
Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism his views on the development of a new west Cork arts centre in Skibbereen; and if he will sanction the necessary funding to enable this development to proceed. [34781/06]
Mr. O’Donoghue Mr. O’Donoghue
Mr. O’Donoghue: My Department supports capital arts projects through the Arts and Culture Capital Enhancement Support Scheme or ACCESS scheme. Under the ACCESS Scheme, a total of €45.71m was made available in grant aid to 44 projects nationwide.
In August of this year I announced a new capital grants scheme, called ACCESS II. The primary focus of the scheme will be the refurbishment and enhancement of existing arts and culture facilities. Accordingly 70% of the total moneys available will, if feasible, be allocated for this purpose. The remaining 30% of the scheme’s funds will be available for the development of new facilities. My office has already forwarded  information in relation to the new ACCESS II scheme to the West Cork Arts Centre.
Applications will be accepted until November 17th 2006. An independent selection committee will adjudicate on all applications received within the time limits set out in the guidelines and make recommendations.
Dáil Éireann 626 Written Answers. Arts Funding.