Dáil Éireann - Volume 615 - 21 February, 2006
Written Answers. - Departmental Bodies.
Mr. Ring Mr. Ring
358. Mr. Ring asked the Minister for Communications, Marine and Natural Resources if the Marine Institute tenders for research projects that it puts out to tender; if so, the projects it tendered for and those they were successful with in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005; and if the Marine Institute has representatives on the inde pendent committee processing the tenders. [7071/06]
Mr. Browne Mr. Browne
Mr. Browne: All tender competitions conducted by the Marine Institute observe Government procurement guidelines. The Marine Institute was successful in tendering for the following research projects:
1. Biological Oceanography of Harmful Algal Blooms off the West Coast of Ireland (in partnership with NUIG and Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, USA
2. Isolation and purification of azaspiracids from naturally contaminated materials and evaluation of their toxicological effects (in partnership with UCC, the Centre for Coastal Environmental Research USA, Chiba University Japan, Tama Lab Japan and Tohoku University Japan)
1. Nucleic Acid Tests for Toxigenic Phytoplankton Species in Irish Waters (in partnership with NUIG)
2. SMART Water Quality Monitoring System (in partnership with DCU, Tyndall National Institute, Microelectronics Application Centre, SW Regional Fisheries Board and Marine Informatics)
3. Strategic Team in Ocean Energy and Related Technologies (in partnership with UCC)
1. Site Investigations and Disease Management of the Pancreas Disease Virus in Irish Farmed Salmon (in partnership with Queens University Belfast, Vet Aqua, Muir Gheal Teo and Eany Fish Products Ltd)
2. Extension of the Marine Institute’s Marine Data Repository to include Biological Data and development tools (in partnership with UCC and Oregon State University)
Out of a total of 87 projects, the Marine Institute tendered for 13 projects and was successful in seven of these and unsuccessful in six of them. The Marine Institute does not have, nor has it has anyone from or representing it on the committees evaluating tenders for which it is competing.
Dáil Éireann 615 Written Answers. Departmental Bodies.