Dáil Éireann - Volume 496 - 10 November, 1998

Written Answers. - Higher Education Grants.

412. Mr. P. Carey asked the Minister for Education and Science whether a student who holds a primary degree in the area of art and design from the National College of Art and Design would qualify for a grant to enable her to pursue study to masters level in the same area, either in an Irish or United Kingdom university; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22431/98]

Minister for Education and Science (Mr. Martin): Students studying at postgraduate level in Ireland may apply for financial assistance under the terms of the higher education grants scheme or the vocational education committees' scholarship scheme. Candidates must fulfil requirements as to residence, means, academic attainments and nationality. I would suggest that, if the student referred to by the Deputy is pursuing or intends to pursue postgraduate studies in Ireland, she should contact her local authority in order to have her eligibility for grant aid assessed.

In regard to postgraduate studies abroad, the position is that the student support schemes operated under the aegis of my Department do not provide assistance towards attendance at postgraduate courses outside Ireland. The British Council in Ireland offers advice and assistance to Irish students studying in Britain. The council also has information on scholarships offered by the British Government to Irish students. The address is British Council Office, New Mount House, 22/24 Lower Mount Street, Dublin 2. Telephone 01-6764088.