Dáil Éireann - Volume 474 - 29 January, 1997
Written Answers. - Social Welfare Inspections.
Mr. M. Brennan Mr. M. Brennan
41. Mr. M. Brennan asked the Minister for Social Welfare the precise number of employer inspections which have taken place to date; the outcome of such inspections; the follow-up action, if any, taken in respect of such inspections; and the additional number of inspections in 1996. [22160/96]
Minister for Social Welfare (Proinsias De Rossa) Proinsias De Rossa
Minister for Social Welfare (Proinsias De Rossa): A total of 9,440 employer inspections were carried out by social welfare inspectors during 1996 and a similar number is planned for this year. The affairs of 78 per cent of the employers visited were found to be in order. If the remaining 22 per cent, 44 cases were submitted to central prosecutions resulting in 23 submissions to the Chief State Solicitor's office. Arrears of PAYE and PRSI amounting to £12.97 million were determined in the remainder and appropriate follow-up action to recover these arrears is under way.
Dáil Éireann 474 Written Answers. Social Welfare Inspections.