Dáil Éireann - Volume 430 - 11 May, 1993

Written Answers. - Environment Grants.

149. Mr. Cox asked the Minister for the Environment the grants, if any, which are available for voluntary organisations through his Department; and if he will give the section, officer, telephone number and address from which further information can be obtained in respect of individual schemes.

Minister for the Environment (Mr. M. Smith): Housing accommodation provided by approved voluntary organisations may be assisted by way of (i) non-repayable loans under Voluntary Housing Capital Assistance Scheme and (ii) loans and rental subsidies under the Rental Subsidy Scheme. In addition, my Department funds a grant scheme for the construction or refurbishment of swimming pools by local authorities and voluntary organisations. These schemes are administered by the relevant local authorities and enquiries and applications under the schemes should be directed to those authorities.

Grants towards the expenses of voluntary teams engaged in mountain and cave rescue are paid by my Department on the advice of the National Co-ordinating Committee for Mountain and Cave Rescue; the scheme is administered by the Fire Services Section, located at the Custom House, Dublin. A scheme of grants for group water supply and sewerage [1141] schemes is administered by the Group Water Schemes Section which is based at Government Buildings, Ballina. Finally, a limited scheme of grants to voluntary organisations involved in environmental awareness activities is operated by the Department's Environment Policy Section, located in the Custom House. Details of staffing, telephone numbers etc. are set out in the State Directory, a copy of which is available in the Oireachtas Library.