Dáil Éireann - Volume 415 - 29 January, 1992
Written Answers. - Killarney (Kerry) Project Funding.
Mr. Deenihan Mr. Deenihan
329. Mr. Deenihan asked the Minister for the Environment if a grant will be made available for the provision of a swimming pool in Killarney, County Kerry; and, if so, if he will outline the grounds on which it will be paid.
Minister for the Environment (Dr. O'Hanlon) Rory O'Hanlon
Minister for the Environment (Dr. O'Hanlon): This project is at the initial planning stage only. The commitment of funds to it would only be considered when detailed design proposals have been approved and the local authority are in a position to accept a tender for the project. The overall capital allocation for the swimming pool programme and the competing demands of other local authorities for available funds are also factors which will have to be taken into consideration at that stage.
The present arrangements for the financing of new swimming pools provided by local authorities allow for a capital grant of up to 80 per cent of the cost of the pool, with at least the remaining 20 per cent being financed by way of local contribution. Swimming pools must be constructed to standards not lower than those set down in the Department's guideline specification for swimming pool construction. Works carried out to a more elaborate standard than provided for in the specification would not be eligible for a grant in respect of the excess costs. These arrangements also apply to pools provided by other organisations or bodies where the application is supported by the local authority.
Dáil Éireann 415 Written Answers. Killarney (Kerry) Project Funding.