Dáil Éireann - Volume 343 - 02 June, 1983
Joint Committee on Co-Operation with Developing Countries: Motion.
Minister for State at the Department of Foreign Affairs (Mr. J. O'Keeffe) Minister for State at the Department of Foreign Affairs (Mr. J. O'Keeffe)
 Minister for State at the Department of Foreign Affairs (Mr. J. O'Keeffe): I move:
(1) That it is expedient that a Joint Committee of both Houses of the Oireachtas (which shall be called the Joint Committee on Co-operation with Developing Countries) be established consisting of 9 members of Dáil Éireann and 7 members of Seanad Éireann (none of whom shall be a member of the Government or a Minister of State) to examine such aspects of
(a) Ireland's relations with developing countries in the field of development co-operation, and
(b) the Government's Official Development Assistance to developing countries,
as the Joint Committee may select and to report thereon to both Houses of the Oireachtas, at least one report to be made annually on any aspect of its work as the Joint Committee may choose.
(2) That provision be made for the appointment of substitutes to act for members of the Joint Committee who are unable to attend particular meetings.
(3) That the Joint Committee, previous to the commencement of business, shall elect one of its members to be Chairman, who shall have only one vote.
(4) That all questions in the Joint Committee shall be determined by a majority of votes of the members present and voting and in the event of there being an equality of votes the question shall be decided in the negative.
(5) That every report which the Joint Committee proposes to make shall on adoption by the Joint Committee be laid before both Houses of the Oireachtas forthwith whereupon the Joint Committee shall be empowered to print and publish such report together with such related documents as it thinks fit.
 (6) That 4 members of the Joint Committee shall form a quorum of whom at least I shall be a member of Dáil Éireann and at least 1 shall be a member of Seanad Eireann.”
If the Opposition will permit me to make a few comments on the new committee I will do so by way of explanation to them——
Mr. Haughey Mr. Haughey
Mr. Haughey: No.
Mr. J. O'Keeffe Mr. J. O'Keeffe
Mr. J. O'Keeffe: ——and to the general public, but if they prefer not I will leave it at just moving the motion.
Question put and agreed to.
Message to be sent to Seanad Éireann requesting its concurrence in this Resolution.
Dáil Éireann 343 Joint Committee on Co-Operation with Developing Countries: Motion.