Dáil Éireann - Volume 342 - 10 May, 1983

Written Answers. - County Wexford Employee's Redundancy Payment.

646. Mr. H. Byrne asked the Minister for Labour when he will ensure that redundancy payments in respect of ten years' employment will be paid to a person (details supplied) in County Wexford.

Minister for Labour (Mr. Kavanagh): My Department have not received a [646] redundancy certificate in respect of the person concerned or a claim for payment of a statutory redundancy lump sum from the Redundancy Fund. If the person considers that she is entitled to a statutory redundancy lump sum, she should apply in writing to her former employer for payment, if she has not already done so — form RP77 may be used for this purpose. If the employer disputes her entitlement or fails to reply within a reasonable time, she should then refer her case to the Employment Appeals Tribunal — form RP51A may be used for this purpose. If the employer concedes entitlement by furnishing a redundancy certificate but claims inability to pay, the employee may apply to my Department for payment from the Redundancy Fund — form RP14 may be used for this purpose.

There is a statutory time limit of 52 weeks from the date of dismissal for bringing an appeal to the Employment Appeals Tribunal, but the tribunal has discretion to extend it to 104 weeks if the delay is due to a reasonable cause. If the Deputy wishes, I will give him copies of the forms referred to or have them sent direct to the employee concerned.