Dáil Éireann - Volume 290 - 27 April, 1976
Written Answers. - Agricultural Statistics.
Mr. B. Desmond Mr. B. Desmond
44. Mr. B. Desmond asked the Taoiseach if, for each of the years 1965, 1970, 1972, 1974 and 1975, he will give the following information for Ireland, UK, France, Belgium, Italy, Netherlands and Germany; (a) the total amount of agricultural land in acres (b) the amount of manpower engaged in agriculture and (c) the gross money value of agricultural output.
The Taoiseach Liam Cosgrave
The Taoiseach: The information requested by the Deputy is set out in the following tables in so far as data are available. Information in respect of 1975 is not available.
  (a) Area under crops and pasture (including rough grazing):
(1) The figures for Ireland exclude rough grazing.
(2) Sources: Ireland—national statistics.
Other Countries: “Agricultural Statistics” publications of the Statistical Office of the European Communities.
(b) Numbers of persons engaged in agriculture, forestry and fishing:
(1) The comparable data available relate to agriculture, forestry and fishing.
(2) The 1970 and subsequent figures for the United Kingdom are a new series and are not comparable with the 1965 figure;
(3) The figures for the Netherlands are expressed in man-years.
(4) Sources: Ireland—national statistics.
Other Countries—“Social Statistics” publications of the Statistical Office of the European Communities.
(c) Gross value of agricultural output (including value of livestock changes):
(1) Gross output is given at current prices and converted at the exchange rates as declared to the International Monetary Fund.
(2) Gross output is defined as all sales off farms together with the value of own produce consumed, without process of sale, by persons on farms. Inter-farm sales are excluded. Imported live animals are not deducted.
(3) Sources: Ireland—national statistics.
Other Countries—“Yearbook of Agricultural Statistics” published by the Statistical Office of the European Communities.
Dáil Éireann 290 Written Answers. Agricultural Statistics.